Chromium is an important mineral chemical. Its general characteristics are the symbol (Cr), the atomic number (24), the color is gray or silver, and it has a metallic luster. It was discovered in the 18th century and was common in the 19th century and later. It was used in many applications and industries. The most important of these is to prevent many minerals from rusting, corrosion and heat.
It is the first element of the sixth group on the left side of the periodic table, and this group is one of the groups of transition metal elements and belongs to this group instead of other elements of chromium, namely: molybdenum (Mo), tungsten (W) And, (Sg). If exposed to open air, It is a fast oxidant, and a layer of chromium oxide is formed around it to isolate the remaining internal metal from the air.
it is extracted from chromite in igneous rocks. Chromium is also present in small amounts in many foods, including meat, liver, eggs, and cheese, and whole grains: such as wheat, brown rice, corn, etc., also found in potatoes. Nuts etc.
Chromium is used in many fields, including:
- Manufacturing many metals and improving their resistance to corrosion and corrosion, such as: making non-oxidizing steel.
- It is used in leather tanning, and leather tanning: it is treated with some materials that purify it, remove moisture, stinks, and hair, and prepare it for use.
- It is used to color the glass, and this is done by some salts extracted from it.
- It is used in the manufacture of paints and coatings with some acids and oxides extracted from it. It is also used in making some materials used for drawing and decoration.
The human body needs chromium in small amounts ranging from 20 to 100 mcg per day, and experts recommend more than 100 mcg. Where chromium plays many vital functions in the human body, among which are:
- Chromium increases the effectiveness of insulin in the body, as it helps pass it into the cells. Chromium also helps insulin convert carbohydrates and fats into energy. This means that chromium is useful in preventing diabetes, and it helps patients who suffer from it.
- Chromium helps regulate cholesterol and glucose in the blood.
Chromium deficiency in the body can lead to many health problems, such as high cholesterol in the blood, and increased risk of heart disease. It can also lead to a lack of insulin effectiveness and disorder, which leads to symptoms of diabetes in a person.