Chemistry Analysis

Develop a passion for learning

The formula of propane with properties

Propane is a three-carbon alkane with the sub-atomic equation C₃H₈. It is a gas at standard temperature and weight, however compressible to a transportable fluid. A result of flammable gas handling and oil refining, it is ordinarily utilized as a fuel. here also, its formula C3H8 and their uses, properties, and qualities.

What is a propane gas


It falls under hydrocarbons, the third member of the paraffin chain topped by methane and ethane, and is obtained by separating natural gas or light crude oil, widely available commercially, as an essential material in the ethylene petrochemical and propylene industry used in Acetone industry, it can be used as fuel for domestic uses and internal combustion engines.

propane formula

Its formula is:

Formula: C3H8
Boiling point: -42 °C
Molar mass: 44.1 g/mol
Density: 493 kg/m³
IUPAC ID: Propane
Melting point: -188 °C

History of propane

The history of C3H8 is not that long since it was discovered in 1912 while looking for a way to store gasoline. In the form of a liquid using moderate pressure, It was the most available gas, and the C3H8 industry began commercially a year later.

Propane qualities

C3H8 has several chemical and physical properties, including:

  • The boiling point of C3H8 reaches -42.2 ° C.
  • It can be converted to a liquid state by pressure and cooling.
  • It has no color.
  • It is characterized by the availability of fuel, energy density and clean combustion with a simple cost, and this made it the focus of attention and became an alternative fuel for transportation, and was adopted as an alternative fuel under the energy policy of 1992.

Uses of the Propane in industry

It is used in some industries because it is suitable for their own needs. Metalworkers use small propane tanks to feed torches of parts and other equipment. C3H8 heaters help construction workers keep warm while doing their work during cold weather, and propane heaters are used on construction sites to dry Concrete and plaster, as well as for heating asphalt for highway construction and repairs because propane gas is a low-pollution fuel that propane trucks can operate safely within factories and warehouses.

propane formula as an alternative fuel

It is characterized by its availability, energy density, clean combustion, and relatively low cost. This has made it the focus of attention to make it an alternative fuel for transport. It was adopted as an alternative fuel under the Energy Policy of 1992, where It used in vehicles was selected as HD-5 C3H8. It is a C3H8 mixture of up to 90%, small quantities of other gases including propylene by no more than 5%, butane, butylene, and other gases by no more than 5%, and is stored in liquid form tanks, under pressure of 10.34214 bar.

Properties of propane formula

C3H8 has several properties including:

  • One of the lightest and simplest hydrocarbons in existence, and is the cleanest fossil fuels.
  • Boil liquid propane at 42 degrees.
  • It does not spill, accumulate or leave a residue, which makes it harmless to soil or water.
  • Approximately 90% of US C3H8 supplies are produced locally, and nearly three-quarters of the remaining 10% is produced in Canada or Mexico.
  • The complete combustion of C3H8 produces clean water vapor and carbon dioxide.
  • It is a tri-carbon alkane, an odorless gas that has been smelled to detect leakage.
  • It drys clothes more quickly and less lightly than electric units, and this saves time and money.
  • It will not ignite when mixed with air unless the ignition source reaches 920 degrees Fahrenheit.

You may also like:


Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

%d bloggers like this: